Wednesday, May 26, 2010

The Best Generation


I was getting my blood taken on Monday and while I was waiting for my name to be called, I was sitting in the waiting room listening to the back and forth coversations between the older people in the waiting room. I am not a teenager, I will be 30 in July, but to them, I am a baby.


There was a little man in his 80's with light wash denim shorts down to his knees with white socks pulled up and velcro sneakers. He was seated next to another man in his 80's who was heavy set, bald on the top with white hair on the sides and had the cutest little campbell soup kid rosy cheeks. "Today is gonna be a hot one" the man with the cute cheeks said to the other one. "Yeah, gonna be 81 today" he replied. Meanwhile, the hustle and bustle of the waiting room was going on simultaneously. The nurse calling out names, people walking to and fro. The whole time, I kept one ear on them because in my mind, it was a precious thing to witness. A little lady also in her late 70's to early 80's comes in the building and sits next to me. "Congratulations!" she says as she looks at my very large pregnant belly. "Oh, thank you!" I replied with a smile. "The weather is beautiful today, they say it is going to be a hot one" she exclaims. "Yeah, I heard it was going to be 81 today!" I say as I look over at the two older men and smile.


My name was called and I had to leave my new friend. After my blood was drawn, I walked out of the lobby and smiled at everyone noticing that no one in the whole place was under 65. You know, I am going to miss this generation. The depression era people who lived through so much. Maybe it is because I miss my Grandparents so much, or maybe it is because the sad reality that once they are all gone, they are gone. These older people we see are the men and women who lived through Pearl Harbor, WW1 and WW2. It was a time when the value of a dollar was highly regarded.. When women enjoyed being conservative. It was long before reality TV, breast implants and Myspace. These people almost have an innocence to them that I savor. I will miss this generation more than words can say. If your Grandma or Grandpa is alive, hug them, call them, send them a card. Listen to their stories, remember them, write them down. This world will change without this generation in it and I am greatful that in my lifetime I was able to witnesss them and enjoy them.


1 comment:

  1. What a wonderful story. I drive for our towns Dial a Ride and I LOVE my job simply because I love hearing my passengers talk about their lives. They have wonderful stories and wisdom to share and I very rarely speak when I am driving them because I can't wait to hear what they are going to say next.

    ReplyDelete